Obert Life is Good

After two heart attacks and a ruptured appendix in less than three years, Mary & I have adopted a new philosophy about life, and that Life is Good. We try to take nothing too seriously, and have as much fun as possible. Work will always be there tomorrow. Sorry Liz- Don't hold your breath for your inheritance!

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Who are these kids???





For those of you old enough to remember the Our Gang movies and subsequent re-play on TV, these 2 pictures could be stills from the show. To the left is a photo of my Mom, Marjorie Cushing, taken in Chicago.

To the right, on the pony, is my Uncle Bill. On the left side of the photo is my dad, Earle Obert, and on the right side is my Uncle Art. Everyone said I looked like Art. This photo was taken in Cincinnati.

It was not uncommon for photographers to go through the city with a pony or sometimes a monkey and get the housewives to have their children pose. Of course they would be looking for money if you wanted the photo. Since these photo's were taken during the Great Depression, it is a little remarkable that my Grandparents bought them, particularly the one of my Dad since Grandpa was a night watchman and did not make a lot of money, but at least he was working.

It would appear that these photos were taken in the early 1930's. Bill was born in 1926, and I'd guess he's about 5 or 6 in the photo, so that puts the date about 1931 - 32 and makes dad (born in 1921) about 10 - 11 years old. I'd like a cap and knickers like Dad has on!

It looks like mom (also born in 1921) is a little older in the photo, maybe 12 or 13, putting the date about 1933 - 1934.

2 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

Thanks! Keep em' coming. I think Mom may have a copy of the one of Grandma, who in this pic I always thought looked like Aunt Gini, but the one of Grandpa and his brothers I had never seen.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Chet and Gini said...

I too have always loved those particular photos

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home