Obert Life is Good

After two heart attacks and a ruptured appendix in less than three years, Mary & I have adopted a new philosophy about life, and that Life is Good. We try to take nothing too seriously, and have as much fun as possible. Work will always be there tomorrow. Sorry Liz- Don't hold your breath for your inheritance!

Monday, August 28, 2006

A little history


On June 24, 1911, my grandparents were married at St. Pius Roman Catholic Church in the Cincinnati neighborhood of Cumminsville. Cumminsville is located near the old Art Deco railroad terminal. North of Cumminsville is the neighborhood of Northside and north of there is Spring Grove Cemetary. My great great grandfather (Charles) worked as a gardener at Spring Grove as did his father (Sebastian) who came to America in 1854.

The photograph at left is of my grandparents Clara Elizabeth Holdgreiwe, seated on the left, and Harry Obert, seated on the right. I've yet to confirm this, but the woman standing I believe is Harry's sister, Sarah FitzGerald, Matron of Honor, and the Best Man is is standing, Clara's brother, Charles Holdgreiwe. The Flower Girl is Clara's cousin, Marcella Schneider. The Celebrant of the Wedding Mass was Fr. John H. Berning.


The photo at the left was also taken on their wedding day, presumably at the reception. I have yet to identify the people at the left side of the photo. Harry & Clara are on the right side of the photo. It appears Harry had slickened his hair for the wedding and he let it "hang out" later in the day.

To the right is a copy of the newspaper announcement about their 50th wedding anniversary. Sorry it's so small, it's the best I can do.

3 Comments:

Blogger Katy said...

Very nice pics. Thank you for sharing these.

11:06 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

I never knew the wedding (attire) picture existed. Thanks. The "oldest" wedding picture I had ever seen on either side of my family was my Mom & Dad. Dad's parents eloped too.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Obert Life is Good said...

On another post I will put Mom & Dad's wedding photo, announcements and Marriage License and Certificate on the blog.

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home